Make your own Countdown Clocks

Monday, September 27, 2010

DAY 11: Clean out closet and donate

WHAT. A. NIGHTMARE.

My closet and dressing room, what a mess.

Today was the wonderful day where I switched out my summer clothes for my winter clothes, organized them and decided what I don't need anymore.  I honestly have no idea how these clothes fit in my tiny apartments in NYC.  I have 4 times the closet/drawer space here but it is never enough.  I really don't mind doing laundry but I dread having to put my clothes away!  They have to be squeezed into the drawers and closets so I knew it was time to get rid of some things.  


AHHHHH!!!
I started with the drawers (that were overflowing and couldn't be shut) in the bedroom which contain tank tops, night clothes, t-shirts and workout clothes.  I have mentioned this before, but I really have a hard time getting rid of anything.  Does that make me a hoarder?   I had 65 tank tops and got rid of 6 of them.  It is better than nothing!  I think I have a hard time getting rid of things because I can almost always remember exactly where I bought it and where I've worn it.  Memories!   For example, I came across a shirt that said Texas with a cowboy hat on it. I remember I bought this shirt at Macy's in NYC shortly after I moved to New York in 2003.  I was so excited to find a cute Texas shirt in NYC and I probably spent everything in my bank account to get it.  I hadn't worn this shirt since 2004, but somehow it has moved with me several times and made the "donation cut" over and over again.  Sadly,  today I decided I had to say goodbye to this shirt, and many other t-shirts that had ridiculous word phrases on them.  Did I really wear those?  One shirt that I will never part with is my New Kids on the Block Joey McIntyre shirt.  That is forever.   :)

My Joey 


After I managed to organize my drawers and get them to shut, I made my way to what I call my dressing room.  It is really an office but I have completely taken it over with my crap.  I got my huge bin of fall clothes, winter sweaters and scarves and dumped it on the ground, then started taking all my summer stuff and packing it away.  Frowny face.  I'm always sad when I have to do this for two reasons.  1)  I see cute things that I forgot to wear or didn't have anywhere to wear them...I  will have to remember for next summer!  2)  I wish I had a closet big enough where I could keep all my clothes out year round!  I worked on that closet for hours and hours and many times I would just sit in a huge pile of clothes and frustration.   Now I am about 85% done with this project.  I was able to let go of many dresses that I haven't worn in years and shorts and skirts that I just won't fit into again, no matter how hard I workout! LOL.  I wish I had a picture to show you of my closet neat and organized but it isn't quite there yet.  I have to make a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond in the morning for another storage bin, pick up the remaining stuff off the floor and then drop off all the clothes I was able to part with at the Salvation Army.  It definitely feels good to get rid of a bunch of things and I know donating to the Salvation Army is a positive thing.  I was dreading this task so I am glad it is completed! (almost completed) 

 Now let's go shopping!!!  

1 comment:

carissajade said...

Seriously I know how you feel. I can only fit into about 1/8 of my clothes. I literally have barely anything that fits me since I've lost weight. Yet my closets are still stuffed. i've cleaned them out like 10 times but I still like some of the clothes and I figure I might gain weight or get them fixed. sighhh..

AND I think I gave you that Joey Shirt! hahahahahaha!

Ahhh Joey. So soft that shirt. So many years of love. Don't you ever give that away!