Make your own Countdown Clocks

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

DAY 2: PAWS volunteer orientation/Jr. League information meeting

Today was a two-for-one day!  After trying multiple times to sign up for volunteer opportunities online I finally had some luck!  I had both my PAWS Chicago new volunteer meeting and my Jr. League new member informational meeting today.


PAWS Chicago is the city's largest no kill humane organization, focused on implementing solutions to end the killing of homeless pets.  I was so excited when I read about what they do and actually got a time for orientation!  There were so many things to chose from but I decided to volunteer with the Dog Town.  This is where they house all the dogs that are waiting to be adopted.  Once a dog is admitted there they will stay until they are adopted, no matter how long it takes.  I will get to walk the dogs and play with them and eventually assist in the adoption process.  My training session is next Tuesday for Dog Town, then I will be ready to start as soon as possible after that.  We had a chance to tour the facilities and I have already fallen in love with these animals.  Last year Oprah adopted a cocker spaniel from this PAWS and even made a pretty hefty donation.   One dog's story brought me to tears.  About a year ago a pit bull named Red was shot and paralyzed defending his elderly owner during a robbery.  The owner lives on a second story walk up and was no longer able to care for Red so PAWS took him in.  He was the sweetest dog ever, I can't believe he hasn't been adopted yet. I know he has very special needs but I know there is someone out there for him!  Here is Red's story.

Red and his cart

My second meeting of the day was the new member informational meeting at the Jr. League of Chicago.  The JLC is an organization committed to promoting volunteerism, developing the potential of women and improving the community through effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.  The Chicago chapter focuses on at risk women and children and childhood obesity among many other things.  I heard about this organization through a friend in my sorority alum chapter and she said it was a great way to get more involved in the volunteer scene in Chicago as well as meet even more girls!  I thought it would be a perfect match for me since I am always looking for new friends and volunteer opportunities.  When I showed up tonight I got that familiar awkward insecure feeling but ended up meeting a lot of  new people.  It feels kind of like a grown up sorority.  I already signed up to be an associate member and my training starts with the next new member group in January!

I can't believe I am coming to my last day of my twenties...but I am beyond excited for these new opportunities to get involved in my community and help!  Life will only get better!

"You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love." -Henry Drummond

No comments: