Make your own Countdown Clocks

Thursday, October 7, 2010

DAY 1: Totally freaking out/Sorority Alum book club

THE LAST DAY OF MY TWENTIES!!!!!

So how did I spend it?  By getting my butt kicked in my basic training workout class, preparing the packages to send to my soldier in Afghanistan, talking to my grandpa while cleaning the apartment, bleaching my teeth and inspecting my pores and wrinkles then putting on three different face masks.  Doesn't help that I am breaking out like a 13 year old!  I thought that stuff was over with.

Taken from my scrapbook!  10-08-2000
But before all that I began this glorious sunshiney day by jumping out of bed and going through old pics from college.  For some reason the moment I opened my eyes I wanted to find pics from my 20th birthday dinner at Tortuga Mexican Cantina in San Marcos, Texas.  I remember going there with my sorority sisters and just like yesterday, I can remember my friend Annie bringing low calorie tortilla chips so we wouldn't have to eat so many of the fattening chips there!  Ten years has gone by in the blink of an eye.  I also found some fun pictures from my 21st birthday!  I wonder how many margaritas I have had since then?!   Hardly any I'm sure haha.  Looking though those pics at all the faces belonging to the people who have meant so much to me over the past decade made me emotional, and thankful that those friendships are still very important in my life.  When I got home from running errands I was surprised by a huge basket from one of my BFFs Shawna.  It was a mixture of everything I love and things that were meaningful in our relationship.  Of course I cried and once again remembered how thankful I am for all of my friends, the ones I have known since 2nd grade and the ones I have just met!

Out for my 21st Birthday w Shawna and Lindsey!
Woohoo 21! 10-08-2001



















It is a nice coincidence that the book chosen for this months book club is  called Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah. I was determined to finish this book since I didn't finish last month's book, but ended up finishing so fast because I couldn't put it down!  It is about two friends who meet as pre-teens and form such an incredibly strong bond.  They stay best friends for the rest of their lives even though they couldn't be more different and  they end up taking different paths as they get older...one chooses career and one chooses to have a family.   In the end, something tragic happens to one of them.   I won't spoil it for you but it is deals with a really personal subject to me.  It seems like this is a common theme for women's books, but this one was long and really developed the characters, reminding you how incredibly important relationships are in your life.  Even though you may go through ups and downs or not see or talk to each other as often as you like,  it is important to lean on your true friends when you really need them and be there for them as well.  Naturally people are going to grow apart and make different decisions...but true friendship endures.  I am so blessed to have many of these type of friendships in my life.  I know the relationships in my life have shaped me into the person I am today.  A true friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.  I have always loved that quote!

The book club meeting was at Swirl Wine Bar which is  a block from my apartment. Perfect!  We had the best time drinking sangria and talking about the book, and other girly things.  Put women together and give them some wine and they will be happy!  I am so glad I read this book and was able to get involved in the discussion...I have found that I really enjoy book club!
The crew tonight for our book club at Swirl
Ok, I have two hours left of my twenties.  I am headed out to get a few drinks.  GOODBYE TWENTIES!!!  We had some amazing times and I will NEVER forget you, but I think this is just the beginning for me, we had to part at some point.  It is time to experience new things...I am into the thirties now!!!

Thank you guys for following me on this journey...I will let you know how the birthday goes!!

BRING IT ON 30!!!!!   

1 comment:

Peter said...

Happy belated birthday!